Join us while we fight hunger this holiday season and we Stuff A Buggy full of food, thanks to Wall to Wall Floor Covering!
Join us on November 20, the Saturday before Thanksgiving, at the Weis Markets in the Red Rose Commons on Fruitville Pike to raise food donations for the Water Street Mission by filling the Penn State Health Buggy!
Stats on The Challenges In Lancaster County
- Lancaster has a poverty rate of 26.5% higher than both Philadelphia (24.3%) and Pittsburgh (21.4%)
- Nationally, 33% of people working today are one or two missed paychecks away from being homeless.This rate is more than likely higher in Lancaster.
- While minors under 18 make up 17% of Lancaster’s population, they account for over 40% of those living in poverty
Food Facts for WSM
- For those experiencing homelessness or struggling to make ends meet, a warm meal or a bag of groceries can be the first step towards restoration
- 500 Meals served each day to men, women and children experiencing homelessness
- Nearly 50,000 meals expected to be provided between November and March of this coming winter.
- Weekly groceries provided to nearly 2,000 of our neighbors fighting poverty each month.
- An average meal costs $2.59 at Water Street
- The average weight of a meal is 1.2 lbs.
- Therefore the average cost for a pound of food at Water Street is $2.15
Rescue Mission Food Drive
- Provides 70,000 lbs worth of food for our community, the equivalent to 24 cars full of groceries!
- Stuff A Buggy plays a huge part of helping us meet that goal!
List of items being collected:
- Boxed cereal
- Boxed stuffing mix
- Canned fruit
- Canned gravy or gravy mix
- Canned meats (Spam/Tuna)
- Canned vegetables
- Canned soup
- Canned yams or sweet potatoes
- Coffee (beans or ground)
- Condensed soup (15.5oz)
- Instant mashed potatoes
- Juice (OJ & Apple – Plastic)
- Ketchup, mustard and mayonnaise
- Cream of wheat
- Pancake mix and syrup
- Peanut butter and jelly
- Rice (all kinds)
- Salad dressings
- Spaghetti sauce
- Cans of Chef Boyardee (any type)
- Cans of beef stew
- Boxed Hamburger
- Helper-type mixes
- Mac & cheese