Even if you’ve been with your partner for a long time and know them really well, it can still be hard to pick out the perfect Valentine’s Day present. Nailing the ideal gift can make someone feel loved and adored, but miss the mark and it’s hard to recover from that romantic fail.
If you’re looking to impress your Valentine this year, here are some gifts you DON’T want to give them.
- An envelope full of money - Cash is always appreciated by your teenage nephew, but giving a stack of bills to your special someone on Valentine’s Day? Probably not the best way to show you care.
- A vacuum cleaner - You might think that Roomba robot vacuum will save your partner a bunch of time cleaning, but unless you know they really want that home appliance for Valentine’s Day, this is not the time to get it for them.
- Smoothing serum - Anti-aging beauty products as a Valentine’s gift may send the message that you think your Valentine looks older, so if you’re really just trying to pamper them, go with a gift card for a massage or a facial instead.
- Tickets to a game for your favorite sports team - If the sporting event is something you guys can enjoy as a couple, go for it. But don’t use Valentine’s Day as an excuse to splurge on expensive tickets if the one you love doesn’t care about the game or team.
- Yellow roses - It’s all about the color here because while red roses symbolize true love, yellow ones are a symbol of friendship, so you could be sending your Valentine the message that you see the relationship as platonic.
- A self-help book - Just because you know your S.O. gets anxious or wants to lose a few pounds doesn’t mean that it’s a good idea to get them a book on dealing with that sensitive issue. Valentine’s Day is the time to boost their confidence, not bring them down, unless you want to go home alone that night.
Source: Reader's Digest